9-12 December 2019
Limited places | From US$1250 (all inclusive)
About the workshop
This is a four-day intensive master class, tailor-made to help participants train their eye and discover the art of story telling.
This workshop is aimed at mid-level to advanced street photographers who already have a good grounding in the basics of street photography. There will be a strong emphasis on story telling and you will learn techniques for building narratives into your series or sequences.
Participants will also learn the art of composing compelling images in a split second – a technique which Vineet has mastered! Importantly the workshop will also help you develop your own vision and style.
If you are keen to do this workshop but are unsure if you have sufficient experience please don’t hesitate to contact us and we will be more than happy to discuss it with you.
Each day will include shooting in the streets and classroom sessions. Topics will include:
- A refresh of the basics of street photography that will cover composition, the importance of layering, how to build interesting content into your images and ways of seeing and treating light.
- How to fine tune your vision and develop your own style.
- Ways of creating images that contain multiple stories and interpretations and convey more meaning to the viewer.
- Techniques of story telling and ways of creating narratives in your sequencing or series. You will be shown examples of how this can be done.
- The importance of working on ongoing projects. Julia and Vineet will provide examples of their own work.
During the workshop you will be tasked to go out with a theme in mind as you explore the laneways and ghats of Varanasi, with the aim of creating work around that theme. In the final session you will present your images as a series or sequence.
Julia and Vineet will shoot alongside you, giving you a chance to turn your freshly acquired theoretical knowledge into practice. They will observe you while you work and give feedback and suggestions. You will also have a chance to observe them at work, and learn some tricks and techniques. Participants will not only learn how to hunt for decisive moments but also how to get very close to your subjects and become one with the scene.
During the classroom sessions we will discuss story telling techniques and how a group of images can be developed into a more coherent and meaningful narrative. Julia and Vineet will also help review and edit your images and give you ideas and techniques for making meaningful connections between your photographs and building your narrative.
We will also discuss the importance and benefits of working on personal projects and ways of developing projects you might already be working on.
Learn more about Julia and Vineet here.
Cost is inclusive of four days tuition, three nights accommodation at a three star hotel, three meals per day, airport transfers and transport costs within Varanasi.
There are two accommodation options, twin share or single room.
- US$1250 Twin Share EARLY BIRD (available until 1st October 2019)
- US$1325 Twin Share Full Price (after 1st October 2019)
- US$1450 Single EARLY BIRD (available until 1st October 2019)
- US$1525 Single Full Price (after 1st October)
A $500 deposit is required to hold your place. Full payment is required before 1st November 2019.
Contact Julia for payment options.
What you’ll need to bring
- A digital camera with a wide-angle lens
- A laptop with Lightroom (or your preferred photo management and editing software) already installed. NOTE: please be familiar with that software – we can’t teach you how to use it!
- Memory cards and enough batteries to last you a very full day shooting in the streets.
- Comfortable walking shoes, sunscreen, water bottle.
- We take all reasonable care in the conduct of the workshops that we teach, but education sessions conducted in public places can involve risk of personal injury.
- You are responsible for ensuring that you are physically and mentally fit for the workshop and must at all times take care of your own personal safety.
- We will accept no responsibility for injury or loss caused to you during the workshop. We will not be liable for any other fate that befalls you.
- If we have to cancel the workshop for any reason or if you withdraw before 15 October 2019 we’ll provide you with a full refund (less fee processing charges).
- If you withdraw between 15 October 2019 and 15 November 2019 we’ll provide you with a 50% refund (less fee processing charges).
- If you withdraw after 15 November 2019 we will not be able to provide a refund.